In the 1860's, George W. Haskell established his business George W. Haskell Undertaking at 209 West Main Street. Later, George moved the business to a storefront at 121 West Main Street. His son, Fred L. Haskell, joined the firm in the late 1800's and the business became known as George W. Haskell & Son Undertakers. Upon his father's death on May 12, 1926, Fred continued the business alone until Ray Morrison became a partner on May 15, 1930. The business then became known as Haskell & Morrison. After Fred's death on December 29, 1935, his son, Nelson, joined the firm as a partner with Mr. Morrison.
To keep up with the times, Haskell & Morrison decided they needed a large home in which to operate their business. In 1936, they purchased the home at 208 Ferry Street. To this day, the business continues to carry the name of Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home. Upon the death of Ray Morrison on April 22, 1964, Max Rosenberger and Howard Buchanan partnered with Mr. Haskell. Mr. Rosenberger and Mr. Buchanan had been employed with Haskell & Morrison since the mid-1940's. When Mr. Haskell passed away on May 9, 1966, Max and Howard assumed ownership of the business, retaining the name that families had grown to trust.
After the death of his 16 year old son, Max sold his share of the business to Howard in July, 1968. Howard Buchanan continued to operate the funeral home with longtime employee Jerry Harlow until July 1990, when Howard retired. It was at this time that Madison natives Rodney and Roger Nay were offered the opportunity to purchase the funeral home from Mr. Buchanan.
Rodney and Roger Nay have continued to own and operate the business as Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, with the same dedication that was instilled in Howard Buchanan and Max Rosenberger by Nelson Haskell and Ray Morrison.
Since 1988, Rodney and Roger have served the families of Switzerland County and the surrounding areas. Rodney and Roger offer a very unique service to the families they are privileged to serve. Combining the love, compassion, and support gained from their Christian heritage, Rodney and Roger tailor each service to meet the needs of a family that is suffering through the pain of the loss of a loved one. Families often remark that they have not been served as completely by other funeral homes.
The Haskell & Morrison legacy of service continues well into 2009. Our 7,600 square feet addition allows Rodney and Roger to better accommodate their families' service needs while offering a comfortable setting. A larger chapel along with new restrooms, smoking and non-smoking lounges, elevator, and a new coat room are the highlights of the addition. A new product display allows families to arrange a service that will truly celebrate the life of a loved one.
Rodney and Roger both insist that families of Switzerland County and beyond deserve a modern facility with the highest level of service. Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home will continue its dedication to deliver extraordinary service.